Saturday, May 25, 2013

Memo to self .. Put Down the Brush.

Today I lost a sale because I overworked a desert painting and it lost its fresh look. The earlier version that the buyer wanted is on this blog. For some reason I fiddled with it.  It is so easy to kill a promising piece this way and I'm hereby resolving to stop sooner!
The eagle painting below (Eagle Dance) is one that I stopped working on a few weeks ago while I think about how to do the water background. How to gradate it colour and value wise. As the light is coming from the right, it would make sense for the water to be lighter and perhaps a bit golder/warmer on the right .. gradating to a slightly darker more muted semi-neutral greenish gray on the left..  haven't  figured it out yet. Advice/opinions welcomed.  We have a lot of eagles living near us on the coast!

2 comments:

  1. Hi. Strong and simple. Like it.

    If I were to continue with it I would work to strengthen what it is about - to me its the head coming at YOU. From the computer image all values of the large shapes appear the same or close. I would have the head strongest, then reduce as the wings spread out and back and really drop the value of the background shapes - land and water reflections. Could also blue the back ground a bit to enhance the complimentary contrast with the orange main shape. Do this WITHOUT considering the reference - make the painting " stand on its own". I would also work to soften the edges of the wings (lower feathering) as they moved back- would also help to give illusion of movement. Could also make the head pop by having it the strongest value contrasts and a small zing of the warm orange where the light hits it. Lastly the feet hitting the background rocks a bit close (intersecting tangents stuff). Might strengthen the perspective and bring the bird forward if the background line was a bit higher.

    For what its worth. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Brian! Great advice to put the reference away. I totally agree about the focus being on the head/eye and lighten/soften the wing edges. Interesting observation about the rock/feet tangents I hadn't noticed.. makes sense. I'll repost when it's done. I appreciate your interest!

    ReplyDelete